Neon vs. LED Signs: Which is Better?
Between neon vs LED signs, which one is the better option? It is possible to invest in neon and LED signs to promote your business. Both can produce attractive colors and have bright lights. But how do you decide which one to choose?
Both LED and neon signs offer advantages in certain categories. For example, LED signs are much more energy-efficient than neon signs. If you’re looking for an office sign that has longevity and a longer lifespan, neon signs are a more suitable choice.
Both LED and neon signs can be eye-catching. However, one is a better choice than the other, based on the category. Do you want a sign that is cheaper or brighter? Are you more comfortable with an energy-efficient sign for your company? We’ve made a comparison between neon vs. LED signs for your quick reference.
What are neon indicators?
Neon lights are a type of light bulb that’s extremely reliable and long-lasting. It’s almost like a fluorescent light. They are made up of long bent fluorescent gas-discharge tubes that have been heated and bent in various forms.
Custom neon signs have been in use from the 1920s until the 1960s. They were replaced due to the introduction of LED technology in the late 1990s. You can see neon signs in blue, yellow, violet, green, and white, as well as some soft pink tints.
The combination of argon gas and the addition of mercury produces these hues. When an electric current flows across the electrodes of the tube, the atoms begin to shine.
Neon signs offer a variety of advantages
- The neon sign can be utilized for a longer period of duration. The neon sign’s gas could last for up to 15 years before replacing it.
- Temperature Resistant– The neon signs can withstand high and low temperatures, including rain, snow, and sun. High-quality neon signs don’t overheat.
- Numerous Colors Neon signs offer many colors. You can design almost all colors and shades.
- Compatible with other materials – You can combine neon signs with other elements like plastic and glass. Because of its low temperature for heating the neon sign is simple to mix with other elements.
Neon Signs: The disadvantages
- Electrical Parts Might Not Last The electrical parts of neon lights, like the transformer, last shorter. Always make sure you buy a higher-quality transformer.
- More expensive – The size and complexity of your design will determine the cost of the neon sign. A neon sign will be more expensive than a LED sign.
- costs more to run Neon lighting that is running is more costly than LED lighting that is running. A LED sign will cost around $80 per year to operate and an individual neon sign would cost about $228 annually. This is just a reference, but the price would differ depending on usage and the price of electricity.
What are LED signs?
LED stands for the light-emitting diode. The tiny small Light Emitting Diodes are close to each other in a strong plastic backing that is bent into the shape you prefer. You can even get it trimmed to the length that you require for your business sign.
The advantages of LED signs
- Energy efficient – LED signs consume significantly less energy than conventional incandescent lights, up to 75 percent less. Furthermore, they consume lesser energy than neon lights.
- More affordable LED signs for businesses cost 10% less to create and buy than neon signs.
- The flexibility of use is a key feature. Once you’ve put up an LED sign, it’s difficult to remove it. However, you can alter the LED display as often as you want with any message you prefer.
- Power Utilization – LED displays utilize five to 10 times less energy than neon signs and can result in substantial savings in the long run.
- Maintenance You need to regularly recharge the gases of neon tubes. This is something that should be done by an (expensive!) specialist. The good news is that LED signs don’t require maintenance, which makes them low maintenance.
There are a few disadvantages of LED signs.
- Not as bright- LED signs have fewer lumens per watt than neon signs. However, they are not as bright as neon signs.
- Don’t cut through the fog- Traditional neon signs will cut through the fog better than LED signage.
Neon vs. LED Signs – Which one is the better choice?
Now, let’s focus on the essential issues. First, let’s take a look at the in-depth analysis of the distinctions between neon and LED signs. We will then determine which option is best between neon and LED signs. There is also the option of using LED signs.
Neon vs. LED Signs: Price
The initial costs for neon and LED lights are almost the same, but LED lights are more affordable. The price of neon and LED lights will vary depending on the size and detail of the design. Therefore, when you consider the price of LED and neon signs, it’s all based on the quantity of light you wish to utilize.
For large outdoor displays, LED prices are about 10 percent less than neon signs. It is important to consider whether the savings on costs are worth the investment.
Neon Vs. LED Signs Use of Energy Usage
Although custom neon signs have lately lowered their power usage, however, they still use the same voltage as LED signs. LED lights require less secondary power than neon lights, making them a more energy-efficient choice for lighting and signage.
Large neon displays may require up to 15,000 volts to operate while LEDs need only 24 voltages. So if you’re considering a massive outdoor display and are debating between LED or neon, LEDs may save you a lot of cost in the end.
It’s very comparable to the use of LED or neon lighting for small displays and signs. Thus, there isn’t much of a difference between the two. It’s also worth noting that energy efficiency is determined by amperage, and a typical neon sign requires less than one amp.
Neon Vs. Maintenance of LED Signs
LED signage is easy to maintain and requires very minimal operating costs. Neon signs can be more difficult to maintain in colder climates, in which snow or ice could be a problem. Furthermore, maintenance issues require the attention of an expert, and this can increase the cost.
Neon is different from. Safety Signs that use LEDs
Neon signs are made of high-voltage and real glass tubing. This means there’s always the risk of shattering. Specific disposal procedures are required. LEDs, in contrast, are very safe since they emit very less heat and are shock-proof. The LED neon signs are also free from harmful components such as mercury and phosphor.
Neon Vs. Neon Vs. LED Signs Intensity
LED neon signs are cooler than neon signs and create less interest. However, neon signs appear brighter and can be seen from a distance.
Neon Vs. LED Signs: Accessibility
The signs can be made in a wide range of styles and colors. They can help you in every way that is possible, and they are extremely reliable.
Neon is different from. LED Signs Curb Appeal
Neon signage is warm and inviting due to the light they release. This is why they remain extremely popular with businesses across the world. The light of the neon is all that can bring images of glamour and grandeur. However, LED lights are brilliant yet might appear stiff, cold, and harsh to the eyes.
These are additional outdoor signs to assist your company.
Neon vs. LED Signs – Which is the Best?
Neon is different from. LED is the main factor in deciding between the two. The most important thing to consider when choosing between LED signs and neon is understanding their function. If you’re in search of retro signs, neon signs are a fantastic alternative. However, custom neon signs are the best option if you want your signs to be outside and feature a neon-like effect without the high cost.
Deciding on the type of sign you’d like is a major decision. We have expert business sign makers and installers to help you if you’re struggling to decide. We have the experience as well as cutting-edge equipment as well as years of experience to make designing the perfect sign for your company a breeze.